Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Baked Milk Challenge

baked milk muffin recipe
I substituted light olive oil for the canola oil.

So we passed the baked milk challenge. Yay! I am elated, almost to the point of being numb. I tried tweeting from the hospital - to take myself out of the emotions of it - but alas my cell phone signal was kerplunked. My son had coughed in his sleep the night before, so I was concerned he may have been having an asthma issue. He hadn't had the steroid inhaler for a couple days either. At any rate, they checked pulmonary function and it was fine. We also did not do a skin test, but just jumped in. Our time went somewhat like this.
  • 1:30 at first dose of 10% of 2 muffin full dose (recipe makes 12)
  • 1:50 ish - nurse checked skin, mouth, tongue, lungs, and blood pressure. Second dose - 20%.
  • 2:15 ish - nurse checked vitals again, skin.... good to go for third dose - 30%.
  • 2:35 ish - vital check again... and the final 40% of the 2 muffins.
My son finished about 2:55. Then we sat and waiting for 2 hours. All clear. And without a valium drip for me. The doctor's recommendation is now to eat the full 2 muffin dose 2-3 times a week. My son of course begged me to have a muffin today, so I gave him one. He is fine, thankfully. The follow up to the baked milk challenge, according to my doc is -
  • First we do the 2 muffin dose at least a couple times a week.
  • After couple weeks work up to everyday.
  • After couple weeks/month of that we can do a couple times a day.
  • Then we can try another recipe but with same dose of milks (powdered & liquid).
  • After a couple weeks/month then we can try other milk products in baking: sour cream, butter, yogurt, buttermilk... but with the same dose of milk protein.
  • Then we can consider, if all is tolerated well, trying something like cheese - but it must not be gooey - more like the bubbled/charred cheese on the edge of pizza crust. Couple weeks/months...
  • Then you move to gooey. If all this is going well, then the next step would be coming in for a liquid milk challenge.
Well at this point, we are happy to have an additional food. But it must be at this point, and all points until gooey - cooked at 375 for at least 20 minutes. From what I've read, the studies about baked milk - under-cooking can be a problematic thing. I think we'll be sticking with the baked milk muffin recipe as is - with it's 20 minutes at 400. I don't love this - well because from what I've read, the browned part of food can be a big contributor of AGE's. But we went through with the challenge, so for now - we're dealing with eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment