Friday, November 30, 2012

Guo Lin Qi Gong for Cancer and Chronic Illness

It's taken me about a week to recover from the trip to meet the Guo Lin Qigong master and learn the practice.  It was a rather intense trip.

There is so much to discuss here -  this post will briefly cover a little about the people who we met and some of the general principals and ideas of the practice.  I got to do some interviews and am working to have those up at some point. 

What is Qigong?

A many thousand year old Chinese  practice that involves coordinated and relaxed breath and movements.  Qigong is about building Qi - or life force - or prana - or vital energy.
Guo Lin Qigong is the only form of Qigong that involves a walking exercise... in fact, a large part of the practice is walking.
Guo Lin Qigong (and I would imagine other forms as well) are about gathering and building energy, as opposed to exercise which expels and uses energy.  I feel more energized after practice, not in the same way as the initial buzz after regular exercise, it's more gentle and long lasting. 

Guo Lin Qigong is a specific practice that was created by Master Guo Lin to cure herself of terminal cancer.  The inheritress of Taoist texts and lineage, she practiced Qigong but did not find that it helped her as her cancer progressed.  However, she was convinced that there were Qigong exercises that would, and so she went back to ancient texts and created what is known as Guo Lin Qigong.   Master Guo Lin went on to live another 30 plus years, ultimately dying of a stroke.   She worked up to the end.

Cut to our Master Sun.   Master Sun too was diagnosed with breast cancer in her mid-forties.  She had her breasts removed and did chemo and radiation.  I am not sure how much later, but the cancer returned and had metastisized into her lungs.   The surgeons opened her up and then immediately closed her, telling her there was nothing they could do.  She was given a death sentence and sent home.  She and her husband found Guo Lin Qigong through an article they read.  And immediately Master Sun began to practice.  I am not sure what herbs or diets she also took on, but I do know that Master Sun frowns upon sugar and too many carbs or meats.

From there Master Sun joined a group and began to practice, I believe 3 hours a day.  Six or so years later, she sought out Master Guo Lin to learn directly from her.   Master Sun continues to this day, 30 plus years later to practice at least an hour a day and is, and has been for more than 2 decades, cancer free.

To be able to personally be taught by someone of Master Sun's history and lineage was an honor.  

I met several other members of Master Sun's group.  Some starting out on their journey like a stage 4 kidney cancer patient who experienced a 40% reduction in the size of his tumor after practicing for about a couple months (but also he is taking a drug designed to halt the growth of the tumor - I say that because although the drug was not known to shrink tumors I just feel it's fair to share this info), a young esophageal cancer patient (he did surgery, chemo and radiation and was about four months into his journey), a man who had cancer of the tracea about 10 years prior (he did chemo and surgery as well, but said his practice helped him speed recover and gather more energy) .... other members I did not meet - like a woman who had sixteen years prior been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer who was beyond the bounds of medicine and so did not do chemo, radiation, or surgery (it took her nearly 8 years, as the tumors shrunk and then calcified, to be completely cancer free).

Master Sun taught us the level one exercises for the health issues I mention in a previous post.
Guo Lin Qigong Lesson.   

Our practice schedules are intensive - and it is recommended that we practice an hour a day outdoors in fresh air under the sun.  This so far, has not been possible.  However, I do know that when I practiced with Master Sun, I felt better.  So now my mission is to integrate that into our daily lives - a challenge that I will patiently and persistently work on.  




6 comments:

  1. Hi Denise ! I am glad to hear about your trip for Guo lin Qigong and i hope this will bring you improved health ! I am also planning on a trip to China to learn Guolin Qigong. I know Master Sun is from Shanghai but her daughter is in Canada. Did you have to go to China ? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you - I hope it brings improved health to us as well. Wow! You are going to China to study Guolin Qigong! That is amazing. Are you in the states or Canada? We traveled to Canada. Master Sun apparently travels back and forth between China and Canada. There is a group that she leads up there. Can I ask what you are learning the practice for? Is it for a health ailment or prevention? What lead you to the Guolin practice over other forms of medical Qigong? I hope you will share with us your experiences. Please check back when you return. I'm excited for you. It is a subtle practice, I have found. Our biggest challenge is regular practice - which in our modern hurry scurry hamster-wheel like lives - is very difficult for us. Good luck
      Denise

      Delete
  2. Hi Denise I am in Los Angeles. I have long heard about Master Sun's story and many other miracle healing stories from Guo Lin Qigong. There are many local cancer support groups in China that practice Guolin Qigong and some teachers were students of Master Guo, founder of Guolin Qigong. There is one lady in China who is close to my parents home - Master Wong, who is a 20+ colon cancer survivor. Or i can travel to Guilin, in southern China. They have a camp there and you basically stay and practice hours every day.

    I came across your website while gooling for Guolin QIgong in USA and unfortunately i didn't find anyone that teaches this form of Qigong. The whole set of GL Qigong takes hours and as Master might have told you that there are different levels. I started doing the xixi-hu about one month ago, only 40 mins every morning. I work full time but would really love to devote more time to the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that you practice 40 minutes everyday. I have found it impossible to implement regularly - with work and school and motivating my 7 year old to do it. I can't wait to be able to do it daily.
    Yes, the xixi-hu (in in out) breathing.
    China definitely seems to have the most resources for learning Guolin Qigong, for obvious reasons. One thing that I have come to realize is that I would like - for us in the future - to spend more time with our teacher. We did a mad dash 5 days and it is not really possible to grasp the subtleties of the moves in a visceral body memory way in that short of a time. And as you know, there are small and subtle differences in moves to address different healing needs. I hope you will keep me posted on your travels and learnings. Did you teach yourself the xixi-hu? Where did you learn it from?
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise. Right now i am just learning from the DVD or online. It has been very hard to get up in the mornings that is why i am only doing 30 to 40 mins in the morning. I plan to add the 20mins fast walking Xixi-hu if i can get out of the house around 6am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That is wonderful. It's been a bit of a struggle for us to find regular time. Please keep me posted on your success.
      Thanks
      Denise

      Delete