Friday, September 23, 2011

Light Therapy

After 4 weeks antibiotics for the MRSA -  First it was augmentin.  Then clyndamycin.  Finally, 14 days of doxycycline - things have improved, but my face still has a big red patch on the side.

I've been reading about light therapy.   There are ultraviolet light systems used to kill bacteria on surfaces.  There was also a study where blue light was used to kill MRSA in vitro.  The wavelength tested was 470 nm ( a pretty specific wavelength).  I spoke with a rep at a light company that sells systems in the thousands of dollars - and he stated that they use their blue light systems in nursing homes to control MRSA skin infections.  There was also a posting on the MRSA forum where one person used tanning beds as part of his treatment.

Needless to say, in my almost desperate quest to rid myself of this infection - I've been going to the tanning salon every other day - and tanning on the most powerful bed they have.  I have noticed a significant improvement on my face.  Probably the biggest improvement since the first week of doxycyline.  I still have one small patch that bled yesterday, not so good - but it is smaller than it's been.  So a week after the antibiotics have stopped, I am definitely improving.

Another interesting thing to consider - if the blue wavelength is of primary importance in obliterating bacteria - is that the earth's atmosphere diffuses just that wavelength of light as the sun's rays beam down onto us.  And so, in following that logic, the only way to really get some strong dosing of blue light, is to use an artificial source.  

I have also been using a gel - called microcyn (interesting stuff posted about their product online - however customer service is TERRIBLE.  I ordered 3 of the products and only received 1/3 of my order, which I paid to have shipped overnight and it arrived 1 week later.  I am now 2 weeks into waiting and the rest of my order has yet to be filled.)  Not sure if I'd recommend them. If you do venture to use the product (again well reviewed product) beware of the AWFUL customer service - non-responsive call center contracted to fulfill orders.  Also, I'm not sure if the gel is having an effect, or if it is just the tanning beds.  Either way, I plan on tanning every other day until I feel like I am well into healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment