Monday, September 26, 2011

Praise for Chinese Herbs

I have taken TCM medicine or Chinese Herbs - on and off.  I am not sure why the herbs did not help me more with the MRSA - except to say that really I thought the MRSA was just acne and stress breakouts on my face - and asked my herbalist to focus on my stomach - which she did amazingly.  Her herbs really helped ramp up my digestion and significantly reduced the acid reflux - even more than the purple pill.

I found this herbalist several years back, recommended by a friend of the family.  I had been having abnormal pap smears for about 5 years that were HPV positive.  The gyne felt that since my body hadn't cleared it in all that time, it was probably best to freeze the small area of my cervix that was causing the issue.   I wasn't in love with that idea - so I pushed for a couple months to figure out alternatives that might work. 

In the meantime, a friend had recommended an herbalist - Dr. Lisa -  she had seen.  I figured that I had nothing to lose and worst case scenario I'd do the freezing thing. 

This herbalist was/is set up in the back office of what looks almost like a gift shop.  Out in front is a glass display counter and a wall of small drawers with Chinese characters scribbled on tiny cards reminiscent of the old school card catalog.

After listening to my symptoms and diagnosis, feeling my pulse, and looking at my tongue ( a total of about 10 minutes max), she sent me home with packages of herbs that I was to boil for approx 2 hours and drink.  She said that after 2 months of this I could go back to the doctor and my cervix would be clear and normal.  Well I did what she said and now for 2 years, I have thankfully had - normal pap smears.

I could spend days there just watching Dr. Lisa's assistants prep and wrap herbal recipes.  Mixes of twigs, rocks, leaves, flowers.... you name it.   Basically a concoction of everything that covers the forest floor.   A couple months back I met a woman who was getting a preparation that contained ruby red dried curled beetle-like bugs.  I couldn't help myself - I had to ask what the tea was for.

She told me that she had been diagnosed with leukemia 6 weeks prior.  In the time between her diagnosis and treatment start, she had been drinking Dr. Lisa's teas - about 4 weeks.  When she returned to her doctor to follow up and start treatment - the doctor informed her... "well we don't know what happened, but we don't see the cancer anymore."  

Chinese herbs - all herbs - are a reminder to protect our planet.  These herbs are our medicine - and not to get all soap boxy - but when they are tainted with heavy metals and toxins because of environmental contaminants we are screwing ourselves on both ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment